Monday, September 3, 2012

Summer in the City

I want to first apologize for lack of posts from me and Kaygan recently. The past few weeks have been insanely busy for us, but oh so exciting.

I'll do my best to paint the best picture for y'all about my Summer in the City, but honestly there have been so many "You just had to be there" moments.

So I'll start where I left off. I finished up my internship with the online boutique, and started the hunt for a job. And man oh man, was that a stressful process. I sent my resume out to multiple companies and job listings everyday, and I went on numerous interviews a week. After a lot of praying and relentless searching, I managed to land a full-time job at an amazing advertising/branding firm. The people I work with are awesome and the company is so impressive to me, being that I majored in advertising at the University of Florida. I am so excited to see how I can grow within this company. And the best part about it is that it allows me to live in NYC and continue to chase my fashion dreams. I am still currently the Sales/Marketing Director for the high-end clothing line, Doucette*. Yes, my days (and most nights) are jammed packed, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The fact that I am now officially living in the Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of is still hard to wrap my head around. I have dreamed about this moment for a long time, and I am so grateful for all the support from my amazing family and friends that have helped me get to where I am.

So this leads me to my next topic, the apartment search. Ohhhhh y'all I wish someone would have been video taping me and my roommate during this quest because just writing about it doesn't do it nearly enough justice.
Going off on a quick tangent, I want to give y'all a little bio of my amazing roommate, Genny. All I can say is thank goodness I have Gen. We both knew of each other through NCAA gymnastics, but we had never met before. One of our mutual friends put us in touch with each other at the beginning of the summer because we were both looking for someone to room with in NYC. Gen came to the city for a graphic design internship. Midway through the summer, she landed a graphic design job at an amazing digital lifestyle publication. She loves what she gets to do and really enjoys the people she works with everyday. Gen is one of the sweetest and most genuine people I have ever met, and to have her with me on this journey has been such a blessing.
Ok back to the search. So here we are, two girls fresh out of college on a tight budget, attempting to find their very first apartment in New York City none the less. We spent hours upon hours researching online and calling countless brokers(which we later learned there's a way around those sneaky suckers) in hopes we would stumble upon anything that would suffice. Not knowing all the different areas of NYC was both a negative and a positive. Yes, we had to go galavanting around town in order to see which areas we liked best, but at the same time, we experienced so much and became what we like to call "subway pros". But I have to give credit to Mr. Blue Dot, aka the iPhone map app. Without our trusty blue dot moving with us and showing us the way to our next destination, there is NO way we would have managed. After a lot of disappointing finds and "dramatic situations"(that's my and Gen's most used line to describe our recent events), we stumbled upon our little piece of Heaven! There she was, our converted studio apartment placed on the 17th floor over-looking the whole Hudson River. As soon as her door opened, we knew this was it. She was PERFECT. Don't ask me why we talk about our apartment like it's human, but we do. And we are so proud she is all ours! As I'm writing this, I am sitting on our couch looking out over the river and the city...and I can't stop smiling:) We are so happy and excited for what the future and NYC holds for us!

I could go on and on in attempts to explain everything that I have been through this past summer while being here in the Big Apple. I have experienced so much, and as stressful as some times have been, I am having the time of my life.

I'll leave y'all with some very exciting news...I will be working Fashion Week in T-3 DAYSSSSS! So make sure to follow me on Twitter and Instagram(@kaileytissue) to get some behind the scenes updates and pics from the BEST WEEK OF THE YEAR. Ahhhh I can't believe I'm going to be right in the middle of it!!! I'll do my best to keep y'all updated:)

xo
Kailey

"Subway Pros"

One of the perks of working on 5th Ave...I get to see this beauty everyday:)

Moving day! Somehow managed to get all this in 2 cabs...

The view from our apartment. Amazing!

Yeah we might be graduated, but we still celebrate Gameday! SEC football baby:) 



No comments:

Post a Comment